Enquire Today

Who can contest a will QLD?

The answer to this question can be tricky, as it will depend on which State or Territory is best placed to determine the matter – and this further depends on where the deceased person was when they died, where they ordinarily resided, and where their assets are located.

Under Queensland’s Succession Act 1981, the following categories of persons are eligible to contest the estate of a deceased person:

  1. A Spouse

    which includes:

    • The married spouse of a deceased person;
    • The de facto partner (or partners) – including same-sex couples – of the deceased person, provided that de facto partner has been living with the deceased person together on a genuine domestic basis for a continuous period of at least 2 years ending on the deceased’s death.
    • The civil partner of the deceased person; or
    • In limited circumstances, the deceased’s dependent former married spouse or civil partner.
  2. Children

    which includes:

    • Biological children;
    • Stepchildren; and
    • Adopted children.
  3. A Dependant

    which is any person being wholly or substantially maintained or supported by the deceased person at the time of their death who is:

    • A parent of the deceased person;
    • The parent of a surviving child under the age of 18 years of the deceased person; or
    • A person under the age of 18 years.

The above information relates to who can contest a will in Queensland, but our wills and estate lawyers also have experience with and can advise on family provision matters in other Australian States and Territories. Please contact us to discuss your potential claim.

Contact us Today

This publication is for information only and is not legal advice. You should obtain advice that is specific to your circumstances and not rely on this publication as legal advice. If there are any issues you would like us to advise you on arising from this publication, please let us know.

 Liability limited by a scheme approved under professional standards legislation (personal Injury Work exempted).



Need a Copy of a Will?

If you need a copy of a Will and/or are seeking legal advice, the team at O'Connor Rudy and Garrett can assist you. We will contact you to confirm additional details and then organise contacting the required parties to secure a copy of the Will for you.